[mythtv-users] NFS, storage group for VMWare frontend

Johnny Russ jruss at mit.edu
Thu Oct 16 22:38:39 UTC 2008

> You shouldn't need to make any storage groups on the FE VM—in fact, you
> can't make a local storage group unless you are running a BE on the VM as
> well—which would be useless.
>

> All you need to do is mount the TV share(s) via NFS—I usually mount them in
> the /mnt dir, then I use symlinks to make those mounts 'appear' in the same
> locations as the BE. In other words, make sure the recordings are available
> via the same path on both the BE and the FE.
>

> FYI, I've tried a VM at various times and never gotten the performance I
> needed while watching video. If this works for you, I'd be interested to
> hear more specifics on what hardware/software you are using.

Thanks I got everything mounted via NFS and the proper links setup. Is there
anyway I can check to see if it actually using the NFS mount and not
streaming from the backend? The log looks the same to me, but I am not sure
exactly what to look for. The reason I am asking is because in an old thread
an individual was getting very choppy playback like me, and it was
determined that the difference came down to playing from NFS verses
streaming from the backend. The videos in the NFS mounted folder play fine
in mplayer.