[mythtv-users] NFS, storage group for VMWare frontend

Johnny Russ jruss at mit.edu
Thu Oct 16 15:58:42 UTC 2008

I have a windows machine, to which I recently added a 2nd monitor. I tried
several options to playback recording on the 2nd monitor. I setup the
windows port of the regular myth frontend. It worked but was buggy and
unreliable. Recordings would stop completely and there were crashes, etc. I
also tried mythtv player. It was more reliable, but lack of a deinterlacer
is frustrating, and it did intermittently have rebuffering pauses.

So my third attempt was to run a frontend in VMWare. I saw in the archives
that others have had success with this setup. However, it seems to be
necessary to map the recordings directory via NFS on the frontend rather
than use the regular streaming from the backend. Then set the mapped folder
up in a local storage group on the frontend. I am not really clear on how
this will work. I can map the drive with NFS, but does it need to be mapped
to same location as it is in the backend? Do I need to add it to the same
storage group? I have only ever used the default storage group so I am not
very familiar with them, however, they seem pretty straight forward. Any
guidance on this or tips would be appreciated.