[mythtv-users] What hardware do I need to be able to dual record using Comcast cable?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Oct 16 14:12:22 UTC 2008

On 10/16/2008 09:44 AM, jedi wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 09:54:13PM -0400, Josh wrote:
>
>> If you're recording all digital, then you will most likely not be re-
>>
>     That depends.
>
>     If you are recording MPEG2 then there is likely plenty of wiggle room
> to be had by transcoding. HD transcodes can take a long time but they can
> be well worth it. This is especially true for HD channels broadcasting SD
> at a rediculously high bitrate (and mediocre quality).
>
>     Since you have to lock the HD-PVR to one resolution in order to prevent
> it from crashing, I am tempted to transcode even with it. It would be nice
> to compress the stuff that isn't really HD.

Why, IMHO, transcodes aren't worthwhile:

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM 16MB HDD (Recertified)
- $72.99
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=ST3750640AS-R&cat=HDD
Recertified: Western Digital Caviar GP WD10EACS 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard
Drive - $109.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136293
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
- $119.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152102
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard
Drive (bare drive) - OEM - $189.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148337

Oh, and these prices are without coupons/sales.  If you buy at the right
time, you can get cheaper.

And plenty more examples out there on the 'net.  I wouldn't be surprised
if those who are transcoding HDTV are spending more money on increased
power usage from the additional effort of transcoding than they would
spend just buying some new big HDD's.  I'm pretty certain that those who
record/transcode/delete do.  Those who record/transcode/archive (where
legal to keep recordings long term, of course) may also.

Mike