[mythtv-users] On the Road - Remote Frontend

DISAFAN disafan at aim.com
Wed Oct 15 22:31:27 UTC 2008

Now, I appreciate responses when someone asks for advice on a mailing
list...so I'll respond.

Kirk Bocek wrote: "Not quite an answer on copying schedules between
hosts but on my system whenI've needed to adjust recordings remotely,
I've done it through the port forwarding feature of SSH. I then connect
to MythWeb and make my changes."

Thank you, that is exactly how I'm doing it.

Josh White wrote, "Maybe you could try "roughing it" while you're away
on vacation and live with the indigenous television."

As I mentioned, the analog shutoff will make that difficult. And there
is no broadcast. Roughing it in these circumstances is living on
whatever video I bring up.

Kevin Kuphal suggested the Slingbox. However, the purpose of Slingbox is
to do exactly what I might seek to do in software. Besides, my cable box
at home is married to my MythTV backend. Where would I stick the Slingbox?

Wes Hardaker suggested I use an external drive. Which is exactly part of
what I'm doing now. But I started reviewing this idea when I left the
drive connected to the backend and forgot it before I left this weekend.

Matt Emmott commented on Mythweb's Flash portion. I tried to get that
working. It is still experimental and even turning the setting on, I
couldn't get it to stream. I'll have to wait for it to mature.

I still have the questions...

1. Is it possible to transfer the scheduled programs for a specific time
period and order them to record on a remote and independent frontend?
2. If I must transfer my files over the internet using Linux only
technologies based with MythTV, what recommended format/codec/bitrate
would you suggest for maximum quality at a minimum size.
3. How could I automate the transfer into a series of job on both
system? If I do this, I'll be sure to report back, by the way.