[mythtv-users] Upgrade risk assessment

Clay nt4usb at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 15 21:22:04 UTC 2008

> My "production machine", i.e. the machine that my
> wife will kick my ass if
> it doesn't remain completely stable, has recently ended
> 154 days of
> fabulously stable uptime and finally required a reboot.
>
> After the mandatory ass-kicking :-) I took advantage of the
> situation to, at
> no small risk, to apply the 100+ pending updates to ubuntu
> 7.10. As luck
> would have it everything appears to have turned out well.
>
> Now the million dollar question is: should I go ahead and
> let the Update
> Manager update the machine to ubuntu 8.04? I've heard
> that going to 8.04
> (Hardy) requires 0.22. The build of 0.22 I'm running
> pre-dates the QT4
> dependency. It would seem I'm in a good position to go
> forward.
>
> That said of course I am flirting with breaking the
> "If it ain't broke..."
> rule. Nevertheless does anyone have any experience or
> guidance with this
> transition? Your tales of success or failure would be most
> appreciated.

fwiw, I recently ran the Feisty upgrade on my Edgy frontend/slave backend, which is also my beater. Really didn't expect it to work since the Edgy install was more than a little abused by a year of tinkering.
Fully expected it to bomb but Myth never missed a beat.

Upgraded moms bone stock (non Myth) Gutsy to Hardy and the only glitch was a known bug (which I'm at a complete loss to remember what it was atm, old age and crs sux!) that affected minor things like accessing Synaptic, etc.
The fix was a simple copy and paste a single line into a file that's really hard to get write access to but once done, everything worked fine.
...Didn't even require a restart (although I have no idea how that's possible) but uname -a showed the new kernel so, wtf?

So... Backup, backup, clone, backup.
If the upgrade goes sideways well, plan B was fresh install anyway.