[mythtv-users] Stuttering on PVR150 recordings (one channel only)

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Oct 15 16:41:10 UTC 2008

On Oct 15, 2008, at 9:24 AM, John Payne wrote:

> I've been trying to trace some image-stuttering issues with recordings
> on one channel only when recording via my PVR150's (I have 2
> installed).
> I was concentrating on playback profiles etc, but further
> investigation
> shows that it must be a recording problem - I also get the
> stuttering if
> I play recordings directly on the backend, ie without mythtv, using
> vlc.
>
> What's odd is that I can't see the effect on any other channels
> recorded
> over the PVR150s, and I don't have problems watching that channel on a
> normal TV, except that the sound level is lower than other channels,
> which may suggest a weaker signal(?) I'm using a cable feed
>
> I also have a DVB-T card and with the dvb utils I can monitor the
> signal
> parameters - is there a similar utility for Analog cards such as the
> PVR150?
>
> Yesterday I updated the ivtv firmware but I don't know if that will
> help
> and I need to do some more recordings first.
>
> Anyone got any ideas or suggestions?

You can tweak the tuning using the finetune column in mythweb's
channel editor to see if you can get a better signal. Doing this while
flipping on and off the channel in LiveTV should let you see the
results of what you're doing pretty quickly. I remember I had to do
this for one of my channels when I was tuning with my PVR-350 and had
cable TV. I never got a great image in the end, but it was better than
what I started with.

That is if you are, in fact, experiencing a tuning issue. :)