[mythtv-users] Upgrade risk assessment

Ian Barton lists at manor-farm.org
Wed Oct 15 07:00:52 UTC 2008

> After the mandatory ass-kicking :-) I took advantage of the situation to, at
> no small risk, to apply the 100+ pending updates to ubuntu 7.10. As luck
> would have it everything appears to have turned out well.
>
> Now the million dollar question is: should I go ahead and let the Update
> Manager update the machine to ubuntu 8.04? I've heard that going to 8.04
> (Hardy) requires 0.22. The build of 0.22 I'm running pre-dates the QT4
> dependency. It would seem I'm in a good position to go forward.

Personally I would do a clean install, after backing up your database.
If you  haven't already done so, I woold take the opportunity to
separate your recordings and home directory onto a different partition
to / (root). This makes any subsequent upgrade a much less risky option.
It's far harder to hose your recordings if they are on a different
partition.

Intrepid is due out at the end of this month. However, Hardy is an LTS
release. If you don't plan upgrading again soon, I would stick with Hardy.

If you don't use the computer for anything apart from Myth, I would also
seriously consider using Mythbuntu.

Ian.