[mythtv-users] mac-mini frontend for HD

scram69 scram69 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 05:34:24 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 4:45 PM, MonkeyPet <monkeypet at gmail.com> wrote:
> I run mythfrontend under OSX on a 1080p tv.  STD recording is fine,
> but HD (recorded from hdhomerun box) especially 1080i is still
> chopping and makes me cry.  I haven't experimented with running Linux
> on the mini yet.  For a remote, I use an iphone running mymote and the
> app works great most of the time.  The remote that comes with the mini
> is only 6 buttons and inadequate.  My mini is a 1.83GHz Intel Core 2
> Duo 1GB.  So far, I am very disappointed with it and will not spend
> that much $$$ for a solution that can't do HD.

I've got a 1.66 GHz that I upgraded to 2.0GHz Core2.  1080i playback
from my HD homerun  under OSX is smooth, with mythfrontend usually
taking 50-60% of the CPU.  The only times I experience stuttering is
if I'm trying to simultaneously rip a DVD in handbrake.  What playback
profile are you using?  Slim works well for me.

I have both Ubuntu and OSX frontends.  Personal preference - I like
the OSX in the family room, as iTunes, iPhoto, and DVDPlayer seem
superior to me to the myth plugins.  Also, I use RemoteBuddy, an OSX
app that allows me to use a learning remote (e.g. Harmony 550) to
control everything, switching smoothly between myth and the other apps
(the kids love Google Earth), even controlling networked speakers for
iTunes!

(BTW, Handbrake under OSX runs circles around anything I have found
for Ubuntu as far as ripping DVDs...)