[mythtv-users] Can't Stream Music from MythWeb - SOLVED

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Tue Oct 14 19:38:26 UTC 2008

Kirk Bocek wrote:
> Can anyone provide any pointers for getting music streaming to work from
> MythWeb? Music plays just fine from the frontend under MythMusic. But I can't
> get it to work from MythWeb. A playlist generated by MythWeb looks like:
>
> #EXTM3U
> #EXTINF:108,George Frederick Handel - Royal Fireworks Music Suite,
> http://myserver.pvt/mythweb/music/stream?i=1775
> #EXTINF:140,George Frederick Handel - Water Music Suite, Bamburg Ph
> http://myserver.pvt/mythweb/music/stream?i=1785
>
> Host name and MythWeb path are correct. When I open one of those URLs directly
> I get, with HTML removed here for readability:
>
> Error at /var/www/html/mythweb/modules/music/stream.php, line 105:
> readfile(http://10.0.2.1:6544/Myth/GetMusic?Id=1775) [<a
> href='function.readfile'>function.readfile</a>]:
> failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found
>
> The IP address is correct for the server.
>
> I *do* have a symlink from mythweb/data/music to my actual music location.
> Music directory and all files are world readable.
>
> MythWeb is otherwise functioning as far as scheduling, listing data,
> administration stuff, etc.

After looking at the files in modules/music and thinking about it a bit I
figured out what the problem was.

There was no MusicLocation setting for the backend server. After manually
adding it through phpMyAdmin, streaming is working. MythWeb is running on the
backend server and is retrieving the settings for that backend server. Without
MusicLocation, MythWeb could not find the music files.

Gritty details:

I have a master backend-only server, one slave backend+frontend and one
frontend-only box. Of course I had set MusicLocation on the two frontend boxes
and of course they worked as expected.

Inspecting modules/music/stream.php, I saw that it was pulling MusicLocation
using the host name it was running on. Adding that setting fixed the problem.

A Question:

Can anyone tell me what the purpose is for the data/music link which the wiki
instructs you to create? Didn't seem to do anything for me.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/MythMusic

Kirk Bocek