[mythtv-users] mac-mini frontend for HD

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Oct 14 18:58:22 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Oct 14, 2008, at 11:49 AM, Joann Bessler wrote:
>> Ram is cheap, why not top your mini up? I run myth under OSX on three
>> different macs, even my old powerpc G5 displays beautiful 1080i. You
>> might also want to check your playback profile to make sure you're
>> using the mac specific settings.
>
> ..says someone who clearly has not seen the instructions for adding
> RAM to a mini.
> http://www.methodshop.com/gadgets/tutorials/macmini-ram/index.shtml

It's actually not that hard, honest.  It just sounds intimidating.  Mine
popped right open with a putty knife; it will come apart just about when
you start to worry you're going to break something. ;)

I wasn't adding RAM, though, I was cleaning out dust.  It kept going
into thermal shutdown, fan howling away, because the heatsink was packed
full of lint.  If your Mini has gotten noisier over the years it's
probably time to pop it open.  Might as well upgrade the RAM while
you're at it. ;)