[mythtv-users] Switching tuners if not recording

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Oct 14 18:57:36 UTC 2008

On Oct 14, 2008, at 11:52 AM, Phil Bridges wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 2:49 PM, Steve Nuffer <nuffersp at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>> I currently have setup a HD Mythbackend (Firewire and a Tuner) and
>> a Slave
>> Backend (3 Tuner).
>>
>> I'm not as confident on the Firewire port to my cable company's box
>> as I am
>> with the other tuner cards.  Is there a way to check if a tuner is
>> not
>> recording a show properly to switch to another tuner?  Check disk
>> space size
>> as it records within the MySQL table, etc..?
>>
>> Other Options
>>
>> I use Power Search for my recording,  If the above is not possible,
>> how can
>> I have 1 power search record on two different tuners tuners until I'm
>> comfortable.
>>

> Why not make the Firewire recorder the lowest priority, so it gets
> used last?

Because when it works, it's the best. I have the same issue with my
setup. I have 3 OTA HD tuners, 2 HD-PVR from Satellite and 1 PVR-350.
OTA looks best, so that's my first choice, but if it's foggy out I
lose reception and programs can/have become unwatchable which is a big
disappointment. I've resorted to setting up specific rules for
"important" programs so they record on both an OTA tuner and on one of
my HD-PVR tuners, but there are one-off rules for specific shows, not
something that could be implemented easily in a power search.

They tell me digital reception will be better once they turn off
analog and move the digital antennas up the tower in my area. I guess
I'll just have to wait and see.

-Brad