[mythtv-users] SATA errors? ata3.00 exception

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Mon Oct 13 20:25:52 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 11:26 -0700, bit maelstrom wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 8:37 AM, Rafael Moslin <rafmoslin at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>         Good point about the chipset! I have an Asus NPV-VM HD board
>         and I had a whole host of problems with ACPI before a BIOS
>         upgrade came out from Asus, could not get any distro to
>         install at all with loads of errors, had to put Windows on
>         just to satisfy myself that the hardware was sound. So what am
>         I saying? Guess its check to see if there are any BIOS
>         upgrades for your mobo and check on the Ubuntu forums for any
>         known issues, as well as the sound advice given by others.
>

> How do you guys do the BIOS upgrades, anyway? It seems like the exes
> only run on Windows. Do you install Windows and do the upgrade then
> install over that?

Many of the Asus boards have the EZ-Flash program. You can save the new
bios to USB/floppy/cd and the DOS flash program is stored in ROM. No
need for a boot disk. On most of the boards I have seen it is accessed
by pressing Alt-F2 during bootup. Check the manual for your board to see
if it supports this.

Cheers,
James