[mythtv-users] transcoding/exporting to xvid and winff on Mythbuntu

Rafael Moslin rafmoslin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 16:35:55 UTC 2008

Hey now that is an interesting question that F. posed, and that is what is
everyone's archiving strategy? As I for one would like to know just what is
the best way forward, and as with F. I don't like the internal transcoded
output and speed with nuvexport is an issue. I currently struggle with
constantly increasing storage space requirements to the point where I now
have 1.5TB and I just added another 500GB to that figure this weekend as I
had run out of space yet again, a situation not helped by BBC HD recording
being about 9GB an hour each.

What I am doing to help a ltlle is to edit out lead in/out and commercials
then doing a lossless mpeg2 transcode, what I have toyed with is using the
Myth archive function to create an iso I can then either burn to disk or
store on my server, the idea here being that I then retain the listing giode
information for each episode of a series.

2008/10/13 xavier hervy <xavier.hervy at bluebottle.com>

> On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 14:37 +0200, F P wrote:
> [snip]
> > winff stops immediatly because ffmpeg claims that "xvid" is missing
> > ("unknown codec" if I remember correctly), or "divx" or "h264": always
> > failing for the same reason.
> > ffmpeg from the command line fails with the same messages.
> > Anybody knows what to do on mythbuntu to let it work? How to install
> > the missing codec or let ffmpeg point to the existing codecs?
> >
> > Thanks
> > F.
> with ffmpeg, you need to use : -vcodec libx264
> for xvid, it should be: -vcodec libxvid
> Xavier

Rafael C. Moslin-Palacios