[mythtv-users] SATA errors? ata3.00 exception

Rafael Moslin rafmoslin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 15:37:18 UTC 2008

Good point about the chipset! I have an Asus NPV-VM HD board and I had a
whole host of problems with ACPI before a BIOS upgrade came out from Asus,
could not get any distro to install at all with loads of errors, had to put
Windows on just to satisfy myself that the hardware was sound. So what am I
saying? Guess its check to see if there are any BIOS upgrades for your mobo
and check on the Ubuntu forums for any known issues, as well as the sound
advice given by others.

Happy hunting!

2008/10/13 James Crow <james at ultratans.com>

> On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 03:18 -0700, bit maelstrom wrote:
>
> > I have a feeling this is related to another issue I've had with this
> > mobo. I can't boot up a Linux CD. I get a bunch of "Buffer I/O errrors
> > on device fd0" before being dumped into initramfs. I managed to get
> > rid of those by turning off one of the BIOS settings, but all that did
> > was dump me into initramfs without the error messages. So I started
> > over and installed from a flash drive.
> >
> > I think that's a clue.
> >

> Some of the newer Nvidia motherboards have sata that does not play nice
> with the kernel in Ubuntu 8.04. I had one that I had to install kernel
> 2.6.25 to get the sata working properly. You can get more details on
> which chipsets are affected by searching for "all_generic_ide" and Hardy
> or Ubuntu.
>
> Cheers,
> James

Rafael C. Moslin-Palacios