[mythtv-users] Looking for confirmation of HW choice

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Sat Oct 11 12:09:55 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 6:29 PM, Paulin <paulin at spextreme.com> wrote:
> [...]The goal is to have a backend server recording digital unencrypted channels.
>  Then a frontend client on one TV (for now) using a diskless network boot.
>  Plan to add more TV frontends later.  Also using a NAS for all storage.
> Backend
>      Dell Inspiron 530
>          Intel(R) Pentium(R) dual-core processor E2200 (1MB L2, 2.2GHz, 800FSB)
>          250 GB hard drive
>          2 GB RAM
>          Hauppaugh WinTV HVR 1250 (PCIe)
>          pcHDTV (PCI)
> Frontend
>     VIA EPIA M10000G w/fan
>     512 Ram
>     60W Power
>     T3310 Minicase
>     will use the IR remote from the WinTV HVR 1250 card
> NetGear NAS
>     500 GB RAID
> I look forward to feedback.  Thanks

Howdy Steve,

You didn't mention the purpose or location of the frontend vs. the
backend.  I don't have one, but I'd be surprised if the backend you
are choosing wasn't quiet enough to serve as a combined BE+FE, thereby
eliminating the need for the VIA box, and fixing the problem of the IR
remote that plugs into the HVR card.  It is certainly powerful enough
for both roles plus a ton more (I use it as a remote desktop for two
light users as well as BE+FE) - that is the exact processor I'm using.

Have fun,

   Marc