[mythtv-users] Mythtv away from home.

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Sat Oct 11 01:57:45 UTC 2008

Dan Ritter wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 09:27:15PM -0400, Jesse F. Hughes wrote:
>
>> I am running mythbackend on my desktop machine at home.  I'd like to
>> be able to transfer the recordings to a portable hard drive so that I
>> can use mythtv when I'm away from home.  To this end, I'd like to run
>> mythbackend on a laptop that has no TV card at all.
>>

> Why? Why not just use the link feature of mythrenamei.pl to produce
> useful human-readable filenames, then copy the files over to
> your laptop, and then use the player of your choice to play
> them?

The same interface?  Too many files?  Want to keep metadata?

If you search the archives, I started and abandoned a myth-to-go
project.  Basically it would need a UI to select the movies and
recordings to transfer, then use something like rsync to transfer the
movies and then export the pertinent entries from the home database and
import them into the on-the-go database.

I never got too far; too many things to do and I'm not a mysql nor a c++
coder so the learning curve was way too steep.

I'd love to see this happen, though and I would be willing to offer
beer-and-pizza if anyone wants to take it on.

--Yan