[mythtv-users] Quiet fans

Johnny Russ jruss at mit.edu
Fri Oct 10 13:50:40 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 7:42 AM, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:

> I have a backend case with 4 noisy fans.  The noise is getting pretty
> annoying since the backend is in my study....
>
> Does anyone know of thermostatically controlled quiet fans?  I'm looking
> for some thing that only cranks up when the case temp goes up; ideally
> something that stays at a low RPM until things heat up and then starts
> speeding up.

Have you tried a software controlled solution like Lm-sensors (
http://www.lm-sensors.org/)? I haven't used it personally but I have heard
of others using it to control the fans based on the temperature
measurements. I believe there is a gui called ksensors for kde. Maybe
somebody else on the list has had success with that and could give you some
more first hand feedback than I can.