[mythtv-users] how to improve Myth (was "OT: I'm streaming Netflix on my Linux box")

Darrin mtv at aperature.org
Thu Oct 9 23:18:07 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 6:51 PM, Darrin <mtv at aperature.org> wrote:

> May I mention that the entire reason I'm subbed to this list is because
> there are no pointers (that I could find) to the archives or to a faq (that
> I could find) when I started having issues with my own installation of the
> system.  In fact, the one bug report that did relate to the problem I was
> having merely stated, "this is not a bug - post your question to the
> myth-users mailing list".
>
> Even stranger was that the sign up page for the list did not point to a
> faq, a list of common problems, mailing list archives, or even give any
> standards for posting to the list (IIRC).  Instead, I posted to the list and
> got the usual "geez,  why does no one search the archives!?" or "use google"
> assinine response.
>
> If you want people to not come to the list with common questions, they need
> to be diverted to the correct places before they end up subscribing and
> asking yet another frequently asked question, imho.
>
> Since there are no standards mentioned either, it's no wonder people top
> post.  ;-)

I'll make one correction, having just taken a look at the page.  The sign up
page does point to archives, but there is no simple, obvious way to search
them (unless you happen to be well versed in google advanced syntax).  Part
of the problem is that the archives the sign up page points to is broken out
month by month instead of showing the slick interface that gossamer-threads
shows.

I don' t mean for my message to upset anyone, I just wanted to point out
that it's not necessarily obvious to the newcomer what the expectations are
when coming to the list.  It's a problem that could be addressed, imho.