[mythtv-users] how to improve Myth (was "OT: I'm streaming Netflix on my Linux box")

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Wed Oct 8 22:24:59 UTC 2008

David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> says:
> Are you familiar with the story of the little red hen?  When I read
> threads like this, I see a lot of people who want to help eat the
> bread, but not a lot of people who want to help bake it.

Please do not ever, ever, confuse me with someone who demands
something he and only he wants be added to MythTV and then gets very
upset when it doesn't get added, like, yesterday. There are such
people. I am not one of them. Heck, I've even contributed a few (very,
very tiny) patches.

Secondly, please do not respond to every single thread discussing
potential changes/improvements with "Submit a patch." There are
threads that merit such responses. This is not (yet) one of them.

Thirdly, my comment regarding the thread I cited involved the bizarre
nature of MythTV people on a MythTV mailing list talking about
everything *but* the points in the article mentioned in the original
message as they apply (or don't) about MythTV, as if they studiously
wanted to avoid doing so. skd5aner and maybe one other person were the
only ones who tried to redirect the discussion back on topic, but (as
usual) Microsoft was blamed for all the ills of the world.[1]

Speaking of said thread, you wrote in it

> I think design suggestions are generally only welcome if patches are
> attached. ;)

Beyond what I wrote above, I am thankful that your comment isn't true,
at least not completely. The odds go up enormously if a patch is
attached, true. But I'm glad that a few patchless suggestions I've
politely made over the past three years have actually been
implemented, so I'm not going to stop making them.

[1] I say this as someone who has been 100% Linux and OS X at home
since 1995.

--
Frontend:		P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array