[mythtv-users] Varying volume in Myth

Lee Alkureishi lee_alkureishi at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 8 21:30:02 UTC 2008

Hi,

I recently installed mythtv on my new computer, and it's running
smoother than my old one with HD content. However, I'm having some
trouble with the sound.

The system is:
Asus P5N-E SLI motherboard
Intel core2duo E6300
3Gb RAM
Nvidia 7300 GT
Onboard sound card - the TV speakers are connected to the green 3.5mm
jack (3.5mm --> phono cable).
ATI HDTV Wonder

Kubuntu 8.04 (all updates) with kde 3.5

Mythtv installed from repositories.

When I'm watching TV, the sound volume varies from normal to very quiet
and back again. It's can happen suddenly (as if I'd cut the volume by
80%), or gradually (as if I slowly turned down the volume knob). When it
comes back up to normal, it's always gradual.

I thought that it was limited to watching TV, but last night while
watching a video file the volume remained extremely low throughout the
hour-long video. I had to turn the TV right up so I could hear it!

I've tried disabling myth's internal mixer, but it doesn't seem to have
any effect. The audio device is set to "ALSA:default". If I change it to
anything else in mythtv's setup, I get no sound at all.

I hope someone here can give me a clue how to sort this out... The box
is otherwise working great!

Thanks,

Lee