[mythtv-users] Watch list problem

Johnny Russ jruss at mit.edu
Wed Oct 8 18:24:32 UTC 2008

> If I want to watch an episode and know I want to watch another after,
> I go to that show's folder and pick the ones I want to see. Since I
> sort my original air date, it's easy to figure out which one is "next"
> for me.

This is problematic for people who keep episodes around after they have
watched them. If you keep a whole season or several seasons, then it is more
difficult to narrow down the next unwatched episode. The watch list fixes
this by clearing out all of the watched episodes and all but the oldest
unwatched episode.

> If I don't know what to watch because there's too many new things or
> not enough new things of immediate interest, I go to the Watch List so
> I can see what I haven't seen and that might be auto-expired soon.
>
> I believe this is the way it was meant to be used. Using one for the
> other doesn't work. Also, you can't use a fork to screw in a
> lightbulb. That doesn't make the fork a "problem".

But in this case one can be used for the other, and it does a better job
than the other. The watch list can be used to help you catch up on more than
one episode of a series on the same night. I think most would agree that the
watch list was designed to provide an abbreviated list of shows that you
haven't seen yet and that you might want to watch. All the discussion is
about how the watch list decides what people may want to watch at a given
moment. Certainly there is no one size fits all criteria for this. However,
the 1 day wait hides shows from the watch list that many users would like to
see on there. While disabling the 1 day wait doesn't exclude anything from
anybody's watch list. It doesn't even make the watch list longer, at most
the list won't get shorter when I watch an episode if there is another
unwatched episode following it. My point is that it would be nicer for more
users if there was no wait by default, and it would make minimal difference
to those who like the feature. It is a mute point though because we can get
which ever behavior we want with a simple adjustment in the database.