[mythtv-users] VIA EPIA and Myth

Marko Nurmenniemi marko.nurmenniemi at kolumbus.fi
Wed Oct 8 15:38:22 UTC 2008

Ok, haven't seen much discussion on the list about the VIA boards usage
with the latest Myth. I guess everyone ELSE knew these.

I have been messing with the CPU++, CPU-, SLIM etc. settings in menus
for a while now because the picture is just not watchable. With the help
of Google I noticed that there should be a VIA profile or VIA XvMC
enabled option also in there. Once this was realised it was as simple as
making a new profile and creating a rule where it always uses the VIA
enabled XvMC whatever the material. This stopped all stuttering and
response problems there was before...Weeks of trials and finally five
minutes once the solution was identified. I have only non HD-material in
my system.

Another problem that had a happy end was the IR-remote that came with my
Tecnisat cards. It is a COM-port attached receiver and a remote.
I had a working solution on another PC and spend about 6 hours on Sunday
to debug the VIA system to enable this. Just basically transferring the
setup to a similar Fedora9 running PC.
Every setting was correct and mode2 showed some values when pushing
buttons in remote. However the irw command did not want to cooperate and
decode the pulses...
As it turns out the mode2 showed a almost constant flow of signals, too
much actually. Again after a random page from Google which suggested
that teaching the lirc (irrecord) might be best done in a low light
environment, I turned the lights off to see why that might be. Extra
pulses disappeared...the lights were "transmitting" to the IR-receiver
and blocking the real signals. Moving the IR-receiver under the TV cured
this problem and as mentioned that took only 6 hours to figure out,
hopefully the next person is saved from this...

-Marko