[mythtv-users] how to improve Myth (was "OT: I'm streaming Netflix on my Linux box")

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Oct 8 12:48:25 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 11:32:34PM -0400, Magnus wrote:
> jedi wrote:
> >      That's a bit silly. Just put the Star Trek episodes in a separate
> > directory. You don't have to shove everything in the same place.
>
> Ah, but why should it matter what directory a file is in?  Why force the
> end user to do the sorting when you have a perfectly good RDBMS sitting
> there not even breathing hard, begging for work like this to do on your
> behalf.

    ...because it's easy and trivial to do in a filesystem.

    Don't get me wrong. The RDBMS can be used for better slicing and
dicing that a simple fs can't support. But for the basics, it's hard
to beat just dragging and dropping things around a regular desktop.

> Drop the media objects in any folder that MythTV can see.  It shouldn't
> matter how they are stored as long as Myth knows where to find them.
> The sorting should be based on the metadata for the media objects, not
> based on filesystem layout.

    What metadata?

    Metadata for DVD's and recordings is a sticky thing. There isn't
anything like cddb. That's a current problem now and is causing our
current video metadata fetching mechanism to be deprecated. This even
seems to be a tricky problem for MCE.

    No one wants to make this easy on us and the fundemental tools (IOW
DVD ripping tools) are explicitly illegal.

    Plus, the simple and basic and fundementally well supported method of
organizing the data works well even if you leave the MythTV interface. Any
machine that can connect to a fileserver can use it.