[mythtv-users] The best, coolest cases ... please weigh in ...

Darrin mtv at aperature.org
Wed Oct 8 11:32:15 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 10:44 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
[...]

> It's sad, for all the time I spent getting LIRC and my remote working, I
> never use it. I leave the small Gyration KB on the table next to my
> Laz-Z-Boy and wind up using it.
>
> The remote is basically for guests, who seem more comfortable with it
> than with a keyboard, and the functions you need the KB for haven't been
> thought of by most of my guests :-)
>
> But a lot of people like the remote interface, and a lot of people
> resist using a keyboard. Isn't it great that Myth gives you the choice?
>
> beww

I'm new to mythtv and the one thing I noticed was that using the user
interface with a remote would seem to be... well ... what's the right
word... tedious?  For instance, when I'm scheduling a show from the program
guide, the default setting is 'do not record this show' or something like
that.  To access the drop down, you need a key press followed by a multiple
button presses to make a selection.  On other products with similar
functionality, the default is 'record this showing' with an added menu item
for 'do nothing/don't record'.  Essentially, it would be a lot less button
presses to achieve a similar function.   Don't take that as a complaint by
any means - I had always intended to use a keyboard/mouse for my setup, so
it's a non-issue for me at least.

For the OP: I would suggest anything that is Bluetooth compliant.  Not only
does that enable interoperability with anything else you might want to use
it with in the future, but the distance specifications are well known.  I
use Bluetooth accessories with my cell phone and there are many times where
I leave the phone in my kitchen and roam the house with a headset. It's
fairly rare that I go out of range so long as I'm inside the house.