[mythtv-users] Using Xbox for a front end

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 07:14:47 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 5:07 PM, Johnny Russ <jruss at mit.edu> wrote:

>  On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 5:48 PM, Ben Edwards <list4me2 at googlemail.com>wrote:
>
>> I have my Xbox, a XBOX to USB cable and a memory stick the Xbox
>> recognizes (512MB).  I have a copy of Splinter Cell on its way to me.
>>
>> What I am trying to work out is what version of Linux to use.  It
>> seems to be a toss up between Xdebian or Xubuntu.
>>
>> My backend is running Myth 1.21 so does anyone know if there are
>> mythtv packages that work with either of these distributions?
>>

> As others have said on this list and I agree, running linux and
> mythfrontend on an xbox is barely passable as an SD frontend. It takes a
> long time to boot, and the menus, etc, repsond slowly. Although it isn't a
> full frontend you can watch mythtv recordings in XBMC and it is much easier
> to setup and much more responsive than a full linux distro will be on xbox
> hardware.

Just to second what was written.  I bought a XBOX to use as a frontend.  I
did successfully install Xebian and myth on it - but ended up giving it away
to a colleague who wanted a gaming console.  I found it dog-slow, and it
makes more noise than a 747 taking off.  XBMC is slick, but I wanted to run
mythfrontend.  I replaced it with an Apple TV which, although slow, is
orders of magnitude faster than the XBOX and it's dead silent.