[mythtv-users] What kind of Myth setups do you all have?

Magnus magnus at yonderway.com
Tue Oct 7 17:45:27 UTC 2008

Paul Clark wrote:
> It appears to run its own flavour of Linux so it might be possible.

It's just another architecture, among many.  Red Hat runs great on it.

I don't currently have any zSeries boxes in my stable but I do have
pSeries (System P... midrange boxes...
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/power/hardware/570/specs.html).  Both
POWER5+ and POWER6 architecture.  Historically this system family would
have been for running AIX but mine run Linux (it's hard to go back to
x86 after you've had a taste of POWER).

> Are there any compatible tuner cards for it?

If you use HD Homerun tuners, all you need is a network connection.  But
both the System P and System Z architectures come with PCI-X slots, and
I have successfully used some adapters intended for PC architecture
without issue under RHEL4.

> I wonder how long
> commflagging would take on one of those?

I can't speak to the System Z processor performance.  But the POWER6 is
obscenely fast.  Before loading it up with the production LPARs, we
messed around running Gentoo on the raw iron (no LPARs) and emerging
packages was nearly as fast as doing a "yum install".

Check out this dmesg of one of my LPARs... think this might be a decent
mythtv back end?  This is on one of the "older" boxes, with POWER5+
1.9GHz processors, and it still hauls.

http://pastebin.ca/1221899