[mythtv-users] What kind of Myth setups do you all have?

Darrin mtv at aperature.org
Tue Oct 7 16:06:32 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 3:51 PM, Bobby Gill <bobbygill at rogers.com> wrote:

> Just out of curiousity, what kind of setups do our list regulars (or
> anyone!) have? ie., How many backends, frontends, which tuner card(s),
> remote(s), and how is the whole shebang connected and placed throughout the
> house/wherever? What kind of TV (HD, analog, etc.)? Do you use Myth for
> videos/pics/etc.? I'm trying to get ideas for myself as we move into a new
> house in a few months, I'd really appreciate feedback.
>
> Myself, currently Myth server box in basement and desktop PC in room on
> upper level as frontend, cable TV, pvr150 w/usb IR remote-- pretty simple ;)
>
> Bob

I'm really not sure you'd be interested in my setup since it's really not
finished yet, but here it is:

1 back-end (dumpster dive style) gateway machine that I picked up for just
doing some experimenting with.
CPU: 1.5GHz Pentium 4
RAM: 1GB PC133
Video: NVidia GeForce 6200 AGP 4x
Disk: 500GB total storage
Tuner: DVico FusionHDTV5 Gold RT
OS: Ubuntu 8.04 LTS

As a backend, not running any additional jobs such as transcoding or
commflagging, it works great.  It is incapable of playing back any HD video
unless the original resolution video is NTSC or unless there is very little
movement in the picture.  I can store roughly 80 hours of content with this
configuration.

For the frontend, I have my old desktop machine which is built around an
ancient ASUS motherboard.
CPU: AthlonXP 2500+
RAM: 1GB DDR - Don't recall how fast..
Video: Fanless ATI video card, AGP 8x
Disk: Old 30GB PATA Drive
OS: SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10.2

I'm still compiling packages for mythtv dependencies at the moment, so I'm
unsure what the ultimate playback experience will be like.  It's not a very
quick machine by today's standards, but I'm sure it can do more than the
back-end machine can.  I'm building this, I guess, as mostly a learning
experience.  If it's not fast enough for simple playback, I'll have no
choice but to go for something more powerful, but I don't have the money to
drop on a new machine....

All of this because my Tivo S1 is going to become a doorstop in February and
my OTA reception is awful due to living next to an airport.  I tried out
BeyondTV yesterday, but it seemed buggy to me and still required much more
cpu power than I could give it on my budget.

For display, I will very likely use a 20 inch CRT computer monitor and run
the audio through the stereo system.