[mythtv-users] What kind of Myth setups do you all have?

Mark Small msmall at eastlink.ca
Tue Oct 7 11:54:44 UTC 2008

On October 6, 2008 04:51:22 pm Bobby Gill wrote:
> Just out of curiousity, what kind of setups do our list regulars (or
> anyone!) have? ie., How many backends, frontends, which tuner card(s),
> remote(s), and how is the whole shebang connected and placed throughout the
> house/wherever? What kind of TV (HD, analog, etc.)? Do you use Myth for
> videos/pics/etc.? I'm trying to get ideas for myself as we move into a new
> house in a few months, I'd really appreciate feedback.
>
> Myself, currently Myth server box in basement and desktop PC in room on
> upper level as frontend, cable TV, pvr150 w/usb IR remote-- pretty simple
> ;)
>
> Bob

I still live firmly in SD land and get my TV from cable (31 channels analog,
about 35 digital).

My Backend in my upstairs home office:

Penitum III with 384 MB RAM
2 storage HD's 160 MB and 250 MB
3 Hauppauge Freestyles (OEM PVR 250's)
1 Avermedia A180 (not used, nothing to see anymore)

2 of the freestyles are used connected to Motorola DCT-2000 digital cable
boxes that are controlled by serial IR blasters.
1 freestyle is connected directly to analog cable

The backend performs a host of other server duties; NFS, Samba, IMAP, CUPS,
DHCP, etc.

My main frontend is hooked up to a 27" CRT TV, the only TV in the house.

Pentium III 700 MHz with 384 MB RAM
No HD, running PXE network boot
NVidia GF4MX 4000 for TV out (Composite, my TV doesn't do SVideo)
I control it with a motorola DRC-800 remote that I also use for my digital
cable box, TV, and VCR. My older remote (motorola DCR-425) died last winter.

I'll occasionally look at our pictures with mythgallery with the kids, and
rarely play a game with mythgame.  We watch our DVD's on the frontend, but no
other (ie downloaded) videos.

I also have my primary desktop and laptop set up as frontends.  I use the
desktop frontend (Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM) fairly often while I'm working on
other folks broken windows boxes (that's what the home office is for.)

Mark