[mythtv-users] Forcing QAM256 for digital tuners

Larry T larryt at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 22:21:54 UTC 2008

How do I force QAM256 for tuning?

After fighting with the cable and digital tuners (present in both a HDHR and
pcHDTV-5500) for a while, I have found that it appears that when I tune a
channel it is automatically determining the frequency.
When issuing the following commands
hdhomerun_config FFFFFFFF set /tuner0/channel 105
hdhomerun_config FFFFFFFF set /tuner0/channel qam256:105
the results differ drastically. If I do not specify the modulation as in the
first example, the process of auto-identifying can take anywhere from a
couple seconds to minutes. If I specify the modulation, it locks on within a
couple seconds. By comparing the observed behavior, it appears that tuning
from MythTV is setting it in the auto mode. Looking in mythtv-setup, I could
not find an option to force the modulation. Is this a supported
configuration value somehow?

My other channels seem to lock on to QAM256 right away but only channel 105
gives me trouble very frequently. My signals are acceptable and once locked
it plays a strong stream. Am I misdiagnosing the problem and I should be
looking somewhere else?

Thanks,
LT