[mythtv-users] What kind of Myth setups do you all have?

Brett Kosinski fancypantalons at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 20:16:58 UTC 2008

> Just out of curiousity, what kind of setups do our list regulars (or
> anyone!) have? ie., How many backends, frontends, which tuner card(s),
> remote(s), and how is the whole shebang connected and placed throughout the
> house/wherever? What kind of TV (HD, analog, etc.)? Do you use Myth for
> videos/pics/etc.? I'm trying to get ideas for myself as we move into a new
> house in a few months, I'd really appreciate feedback.

Big, noisy backend in the basement with two PVR-150s capturing s-video
from a pair of Motorola STBs being driven with IR blasters from
www.irblaster.info.  Contains 700GB of mirrored storage and stores all
of our recordings, music, video games, and some movie content
(ultimately I want to rip all my DVDs, but I'll only do that after
tools become available to rip them to MPEG4 while preserving the
menus/interactive content).

Upstairs in the livingroom, I have a frontend housed in an Antec
Fusion case containing a VIA EN-12000EG board that's connected to a 32
inch SD set over s-video using the board's onboard unichrome chipset.
It's controlled with an irblaster.info IR receiver and a cheap
universal remote.

Whole thing is wired up as a 10Mb switched network.

I also occasionally watch TV on my laptop, and that's done primarily
over 802.11b (which works surprisingly well!)

Brett.