[mythtv-users] Server/adding new card dilemma, HD/hardware questions

Dan Ritter dsr-myth at tao.merseine.nu
Sat Oct 4 10:26:03 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 03:59:56PM -0400, Bobby Gill wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 3:02 PM, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
>
> So if I'm understanding correctly it appears that it'd be quite the task to
> get the Rogers box working with the HD1212 card (correct me if I'm wrong) vs
> just tacking on another PVR150. My question is, would the capture quality
> step-up with the HD1212 when all is said and done be worth it vs settling
> for another pvr150? (I really do like that the HD1212 would futureproof when
> we get HD in the house.)

Not until you got HD. Until then, it might be slightly worse
than a PVR150.

> Now let me pose an example so I'm clear on what I'd have to do and whether
> it'd be worth it. If I have my Myth server box in the basement and I have my
> desktop PC frontend in a room upstairs (as I do currently, not sure how it
> will be in the new house), then would the Rogers box sit in the basement
> plugged into the Myth box and bada boom bada bing that's it? The mention of
> the IR blaster needed also adds confusion for me as it sounds like I'd need
> to have a remote right at the server or am I misunderstanding??

Yes, you'll want your STB near your backend. The IR blaster is a
small device that basically is an IR remote control controlled
by your backend.

> Also I don't think my Myth box mobo has any firewire input, the mobo is many
> years old and I have moved it around case to case oodles of times, never
> seen a firewire input IIRC (but will check when I get home tonight). If it
> doesn't, then that's probably the reason to go with a new mobo/cpu/ram
> purchase.

A new PCI FW card is US$10-15 from NewEgg. Not a large
investment.

-dsr-

You can't defend freedom by getting rid of it.