[mythtv-users] Server/adding new card dilemma, HD/hardware questions

Bobby Gill bobbygill at rogers.com
Fri Oct 3 19:59:56 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 3:02 PM, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:

> Dan Ritter wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 11:31:09PM -0400, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> >> Presuming you have a firewire output, you would feed that to a firewire
> >> input on your mythbox. Myth has the capability. You would also need an
> >> IR blaster to 'talk' to the STB, to change channels at the correct time,
> >> for recording. All input through the firewire input must be 'pre-tuned'
> >> at the STB. The IR blaster is just a computer controlled remote.
> >
> > If true (and it may be), that's a Rogers'-specific misfeature. In
> general,
> > STBs with FireWire can be controlled through FW.

Oops didn't mention, I'm in Brampton, Ontario :)

So if I'm understanding correctly it appears that it'd be quite the task to
get the Rogers box working with the HD1212 card (correct me if I'm wrong) vs
just tacking on another PVR150. My question is, would the capture quality
step-up with the HD1212 when all is said and done be worth it vs settling
for another pvr150? (I really do like that the HD1212 would futureproof when
we get HD in the house.)

Now let me pose an example so I'm clear on what I'd have to do and whether
it'd be worth it. If I have my Myth server box in the basement and I have my
desktop PC frontend in a room upstairs (as I do currently, not sure how it
will be in the new house), then would the Rogers box sit in the basement
plugged into the Myth box and bada boom bada bing that's it? The mention of
the IR blaster needed also adds confusion for me as it sounds like I'd need
to have a remote right at the server or am I misunderstanding??

Also I don't think my Myth box mobo has any firewire input, the mobo is many
years old and I have moved it around case to case oodles of times, never
seen a firewire input IIRC (but will check when I get home tonight). If it
doesn't, then that's probably the reason to go with a new mobo/cpu/ram
purchase.

Thanks again
Bob