[mythtv-users] Hardware h264 via plug-in card?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Oct 3 17:43:05 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 10:32:14AM -0700, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Oct 3, 2008, at 10:19 AM, Brian Wood wrote:
>
> > I "ran out" (actually walked over to my keyboard) and bought a 1212,
> > and
> > I do not wish to run an unstable version of Myth, or compile
> > experimental S/W etc.
> >
> > I bought it because:
> >
> > I was afraid it might be stopped by the Hollywood types.
> >
> > I knew it could capture under Windows, and vmware was heading towards
> > USB 2.0 support.
> >
> > I knew Linux and Myth support would happen eventually.
> >
> > I love new toys.
>
> If you pre-ordered, you spent $249 on a device that you still can't
> use (not wanting to run unstable/experimental software) which is now

     That's pretty much true of MythTV in general. If you think otherwise
you're just kidding yourself. Meanwhile, some of us that were not scarred
for life by earlier experiences with ivtv or lirc are happily exploiting
the full potential of the Hauppauge 1212 in MythTV.

     I recorded a movie off of Sci-Fi HD yesterday.

> selling for $219. People can buy whatever they want. I think it's a
> sound warning to say that the card won't work until there is support
> for it. No one said there would never be support for it and I don't
> think it was implied, either. That said, I wouldn't *expect* h264
> hardware support in linux/mythtv any time soon. We're only
> (relatively) recently getting OpenGL support in mythtv and that
> technology has been around for about 15 years. :)

     So? I'm not really sure I see the point myself.

     OTOH, h264 encoding and decoding is very much relevant.