[mythtv-users] Hardware h264 via plug-in card?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Fri Oct 3 17:32:14 UTC 2008

On Oct 3, 2008, at 10:19 AM, Brian Wood wrote:

> I "ran out" (actually walked over to my keyboard) and bought a 1212,
> and
> I do not wish to run an unstable version of Myth, or compile
> experimental S/W etc.
>
> I bought it because:
>
> I was afraid it might be stopped by the Hollywood types.
>
> I knew it could capture under Windows, and vmware was heading towards
> USB 2.0 support.
>
> I knew Linux and Myth support would happen eventually.
>
> I love new toys.

If you pre-ordered, you spent $249 on a device that you still can't
use (not wanting to run unstable/experimental software) which is now
selling for $219. People can buy whatever they want. I think it's a
sound warning to say that the card won't work until there is support
for it. No one said there would never be support for it and I don't
think it was implied, either. That said, I wouldn't *expect* h264
hardware support in linux/mythtv any time soon. We're only
(relatively) recently getting OpenGL support in mythtv and that
technology has been around for about 15 years. :)