[mythtv-users] Hardware h264 via plug-in card?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Fri Oct 3 17:15:02 UTC 2008

On Oct 3, 2008, at 9:58 AM, jedi wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 04, 2008 at 01:02:38AM +1000, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
>> Brian Wood wrote:
>>> This one looks interesting:
>>>
>>> http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardware/08/10/02/2244229.shtml
>>>
>>> A PCI Express card with a Cel processor that can do h264 and mpeg2
>>> encoding and decoding.
>>>

>> And until it has linux drivers *and* mythtv supports more than mpeg2
>> acceleration it will be quite useless.
>
>    You make it sound like Linux never gets support for this sort of
> thing.
>
>    Given how things are going with the Hauppauge 1212, that's a
> somewhat
> narrowminded view of how things have gone lately when it comes to
> Linux
> and 3rd party support.

I thought he was stating a fact. He's warning people to not rush out
and buy this expecting it to work until there is support under linux
and support in mythtv for it - just like people shouldn't run out and
buy the Hauppauge 1212 unless they want to run an unstable version of
mythtv, compile experimental software, etc.