[mythtv-users] NVidia card lacking Xv overlay

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Fri Oct 3 14:25:20 UTC 2008

Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam.com wrote:

> I am not sure about the picture controls because I have never used anything
> like that.
>
> I am not quite sure about the version of the driver because I use the
> OpenSuse online repository to download/update the driver (as an RPM
> package), but I know that I use the NON-legacy driver.
>
> If you go to the the Nvidia download page:
> http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us and choose Geforce 5
> FX it will give you 173.14.12 as the newest version.
> If you choose Geforce 4 MX it will give you 96.43.07.
>
> As I have understood it the drivers with version below 100 are the legacy
> drivers and those above 100 are for the newer cards.

Yabbut...  The 173.14.12 supports GPUs that are not on its list.  It
supports my Quadro 280 PCI cards better than the official 9x series
driver.  For now. the 173.14.12 driver is the best at supporting legacy
stuff that I've found, although nVidia won't say that.  So the moral is
try even the drivers that nVidia says won't support your GPU; you never
know.