[mythtv-users] SLIM vs, CPU--

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 05:15:26 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 12:44 PM, Brad DerManouelian
<myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
> On Oct 1, 2008, at 12:08 PM, Allen Edwards wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 10:06 AM, Brad DerManouelian
>> <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:

>>> All the default playback profiles are spelled out here:
>>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Playback_profiles
>>>

>> I guess I should have said in my original post that I had read all
>> that and more.  If you read that, you will come to the conclusion that
>> CPU-- would be less CPU intensive than slim but I am seeing the
>> opposite.  That was my question.  Sorry I was not clear.
>
> That depends. If you're using PVR-350 and CPU-- and not playing back
> MP2 recordings under 720x576, it would be MUCH more CPU intensive.
> If XvMC isn't working correctly on your system, CPU-- would also be
> more CPU intensive.
> deinterlacers can use a lot of CPU if you're viewing interlaced content.
> You mention audio skips. Is this only when viewing the OSD? This is
> common with XvMC and the bob deinterlacer. Is this how you are
> determining your CPU usage using each profile? What does top say about
> your CPU when using each profile?
>
> Bottom line is that there are way too many variables to tell you why
> you're seeing what you're seeing - especially with the information
> you've given about the content you're playing back (ATSC HD - that
> could mean about a hundred things)
>
> The way to figure out what's really happening is to look at your
> frontend logs to see exactly what features are being used, then play
> back the same content with the other playback profile and see which
> features are being used and determine from there where the issue lies.
> Could be as simple as not having UseEvents True in your xorg.conf
> file. :)
>
> -Brad

I do not have a PVR-350.  I have a Nvidia 6200 for the XvMC.

I finally got around to doing a little experimenting.  Basically, I
played the show in SLIM and the CPU% for mythfrontend was about 75%.
I then switched to XvMC and the CPU went down to about 47% but there
was no stuttering.  I got out of the show and started it again and the
CPU% was 93% and the stuttering was back.  mythfrontend.log showed
prebuffering pause under this high CPU% but not under the other two
conditions.  I didn't start any other processes so don'w know what is
going on.

Strange.

Allen