[mythtv-users] USB troubles - Options

covert covert thecovert at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 01:21:21 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 5:26 AM, Gary Dawes <gary.dawes at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/10/2 Lindsay Mathieson <lindsay.mathieson at optusnet.com.au>
>>
>> covert covert wrote:
>> > Also can I just swap over motherboards without having to do a
>> > re-install ? I am running Mythbuntu on a AMD64.
>> >

>> I've done that in the past - complete MB and CPU swap.  Kubuntu booted
>> up without missing a beat, don't think I needed to change anything.
>>
> I managed that from a nforce2 board with an athlon xp 2000, to a dualcore
> amd 64, and knoppmyth picked everything up without breaking sweat.
> Unfortunately for me the new board (Gigabyte MA770-S3) has a SB600 chipset
> which also has buggered USB onboard, so I can only record from one usb tuner
> at a time (I have three!). Anymore that that and the system goes down faster
> than a brick down a liftshaft - got my eye on a Hauppauge nova-500T as the
> solution.
>
> Gaz

Great response everyone. I only have a PCIe-1 slot free, I could get a
USB card for that slot but I am convinced it is a SB700/USB problem.
There is not definitive answer but after reading 100's of pages on
similar problems, the ones solved where with a new USB controller.

What SB chipset should I be looking for ? nforce430 ? VIA..