[mythtv-users] mythbackend -> iPod Touch

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Oct 1 20:57:26 UTC 2008

On Oct 1, 2008, at 1:51 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:

> So everything she's streaming from YouTube and www.nbc.com is all
> Quicktime? I'm surprised. I'll check that out when my wife and son get
> home. It was my impression that they were simply surfing the web and
> watching whatever they wanted to watch. If that only works when the
> server has quickTime formats then I'll have to convert as you suggest.
> Thanks.

Yes. In fact, Apple and YouTube specifically worked out a deal where
all the videos were converted to a format that the iPhone/iPod Touch
could play.

The link I just gave actually doesn't convert on the fly. You can see
which ones have been converted and initiate a user job to do the
conversion if it hasn't been converted so you can watch it later.

My solution has always been to convert just certain shows I want to
see, add them to a video podcast, subscribe to the podcast and
automatically update the content on my iPhone to copy them over. I
like this better because I don't have to be on my local network to
watch. If I'm on my local network, I'm home so that means I can just
watch it on TV. :)