[mythtv-users] tuners and lineups and channels, oh my

Peter Abplanalp pta-myth at psaconsultants.com
Wed Oct 1 19:06:47 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 10:59 AM, Brad DerManouelian
<myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:

> On Oct 1, 2008, at 6:59 AM, Peter Abplanalp wrote:
>
>> so i'm exepecting my shiny new hdhomerun today and i'm wondering what
>> the best way to integrate it into my setup is.  i currently have a
>> master backend and 2 slave backends.  the master has a stb that feeds
>> one tuner, each slave backend has a tuner that has the cable plugged
>> into the back and thus is getting the analog channels.
>
>> i'm planning
>> on adding another slave backend just for the hdhomerun.
>
> Why run another whole machine for the HDHR? Just attach it to your
> network and set it up as another device on your master backend. Save
> yourself a bit of cash on your electric bill, save the earth and all
> that.

a couple reasons, 1) i'm looking to add more disk space to the whole
system and i'm out of bays in my master backend; and, 2) my master
backend is also a frontend and i'm uncertain of it being able to
handle 2 more hd feeds to record and still be able to do its front end
job while it's comm flagging and such.

>>  currently i
>> am using 2 lineups from schedules direct, the analog and the digital
>> for my zip code.  although these are essentially the same, i thought
>> it easier to use the 2 lineups than to try and setup two video sources
>> that use the same lineup.  now it seems to me that i am going to have
>> to perform the differing channels for 2 video sources that use the
>> same lineup.  (i hope my terminology is correct)
>>
>> can anyone make a suggestion on how i should proceed?
>
> Maybe this should be a FAQ since I keep answering the same question.
> Here's my response from yesterday:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/351646#351646

thanks very much for the pointer.

--