[mythtv-users] Server/adding new card dilemma, HD/hardware questions

Bobby Gill bobbygill at rogers.com
Wed Oct 1 06:55:11 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 9:53 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Okay, lost me here. Are you saying that if I get a card that captures
> > Digital TV only (no analog input), and I just have regular analog cable
> TV
> > right now, I can capture it fine? ie., Digital is kind of "backwards
> > compatible" to grab analog?? I think this area confuses me most lol.
> >
> A lot of digital tuners have analog as well. Although the analog tuner
> on these cards use software mpeg not hardware. Also, I am not sure
> what is happening in outside of my viewing area but I know that next
> February there will still be over 50 analog only channels and probably
> the same 12 unencrypted digital channels (MYTV, NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX + 4
> PBS + ABC weather + NBC Weather + classic tv)  with my Comcast
> service. I currently have dual analog tuners going and a single
> digital tuner that allows me to record more than 1 digital station at
> a time provided that the station is in the same multiplex. For me all
> 12 channels are in 4 or 5 multiplexes.
>
> John

Okay, so that's not ideal then as I'd want a hardware encoder I suppose. So
I think I'll need a card that has at least one analog tuner along with a
digital.

If I use a digital tuner on my regular cable TV will it capture at better
quality than my pvr-150?

I'm kind of tossed between just grabbing another basic pvr-150 or doing the
whole setup over with new mobo/ram/cpu and better card...

Bob