No subject

Mon Nov 17 17:32:33 UTC 2008

nearly every post on the MythTv mailing list, it looks like I'm going
to be forced to deal with dhcp (had some problems with dhcp ip
addresses resetting every 12-24 hours a while back with ubuntu even
though I changed the setup to static network on that isolated desktop)
because I already picked up an HDHomeRun and some hardware like the
HDHomeRun simply assume you have a dhcp network.

What I think may be good news is that once I have a point-in-time
release of Lenny that works with the latest (upcoming) MythTV release
that works with VDPAU and puts the GPUs to full work for playing back
1080p, I won't have to worry about updating Lenny, as others have said
and as it's my motto as well, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  That
also means I'll be able to strip down Lenny on the back and front ends
quite a bit since the distro in this case will only be working in one
specialized area.

As for KDE4, I'm not one for change really, nor the eye candy.  Unless
it's needed for some specific kde app (maybe a better Konqueror), I'll
stick with kde3 for MythTv and probably for my other desktops/laptop,
and where I think I'll need it, I'll probably run testing or unstable
for it as time passes since I'll also want the latest on other desktop
applications as well (OO.org, Scribus, image editing, etc.)  With
Lenny not stable yet, maybe Lenny combined with backports.org will be
good enough for me for a year or more.  I'd imagine that kde4 would
hit backports.org soon after Lenny went stable as it would be one of
the more popular packages on backports.org in all likelyhood. Static,
non-interactive, non-flashing, non-motion, non-distracting
icons/feedback is preferred over eye-candy and "wow".

As others on the list have already stated, I'm really excited by VDPAU
and the possibilities it brings forward: lower clocked cpus and lower
wattage systems overall.  I'm already planning on adding MythTV to two
additional rooms because of VDPAU, that's two additional video card
sales going to nVidia that materialized because of VDPAU.  I can't
wait to see what other list members design in the areas of power miser
(and quiet) front ends.  Time to read up once again on booting from
flash/usb and since dhcp has been forced upon me, diskless booting
over the network.

Now where to find the "wish list" for MythTV and adding a big wish for
the ability to sync two backends' recordings at an adjustable rate
over the internet.  Being able to get some favorite programs as they
are recorded while up in the mountains where the OTA analog reception
brings in one or two channels during the day and one or two more at
night over both vhf and uhf,  and where the digital transition will
probably kill even those channels' reception as well...  Backend
syncing would be preferable to watching over the internet as syncing
can be done slowly while other outdoor activities are taking place,
and where ISP speed isn't a concern compared to watching over MythWeb
or whatever the current solutions to remote viewing for MythTV exist.
And reverse syncing the local mountain channel for staying up-to-date
on the latest local area mountain news when back in the big city.  One
can dream, right?

D.