[mythtv-users] Inexpensive, preassembled, VDPAU-friendly frontends

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sun Nov 30 09:50:44 UTC 2008

On Nov 29, 2008, at 5:05 PM, Yeechang Lee wrote:

> Scott D. Davilla <davilla at 4pi.com> says:
>> Just an update to testing VDPAU under the atom 330 and a PCI nvidia
>> 8400. All I can say is WOW.
>
> I'm a software person, not a hardware person; I can handle installing
> drives, RAM, and cards, but beyond that I prefer to buy prebuilt.
>
> For my next frontend, I'd appreciate suggestions on any preassembled,
> inexpensive (let's say under $500) and/or compact Atom- or other
> low-power CPU-based boxes that are VDPAU-ready. Most Shuttle PCs are
> too expensive except the KPCs, which use Intel video. A netbook might
> be ideal, except I don't know of any with DVI output, let alone
> onboard Nvidia 8-series video.

Not pre-built, but for kicks I did find these parts on NewEgg that
look pretty good to me:
Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131318
$74.99

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108058
$54.99

Memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148166&Tpk=CT12864AA800
$14.49

Hard Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136195
$35.99

Processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103195
$26.99

Total: $207.45

Not bad for a little frontend capable of playing back high-def
content. It would make for a nice replacement for the AppleTV in my
bedroom. Anyone see any problems with my list?
(Yeechang, if it works out for me I don't mind putting one together
for you if you don't mind paying for parts and a trip up to the big
city.)

-Brad