[mythtv-users] Myth records until drive is full (auto-expire is off)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Nov 29 21:52:16 UTC 2008

On 11/29/2008 04:41 PM, Gert wrote:
> MythTV keeps on recording until the recordings partition is full.
> When that happens, /var starts filling up because Myth logs "No space left on device" about every femtosecond.
> And, when /var is full... well... all hell breaks loose of course.
>
> I've also tried setting (translated from Dutch; may be not accurate):
> Frontend -> Settings -> TV -> General -> Extra disk space
> to 10GB. But with that set, and less than 10GB of free space, MythTV still starts recordings.
>
> Note that I don't use Auto-Expire (the logs say "Nothing to expire", which is correct).
> Might the problem be that free-space-management only gets done thru auto-expire policy, and not thru new recording policy?
> I mean, that MythTV keeps on recording no matter what, and expects Auto-Expire to clean up enough for new recordings?

Yep.  If you want myth (a DV/R/ as in Recorder) to stop recording,
restart the master backend with --nosched until you watch/delete some shows.

Or, better, just enable autoexpire on the recording rules/recordings
about which you care the least.

Either way, when you're out of space you're missing something (either
the shows that are currently airing if you stop Myth from recording or
old already recorded shows if you use autoexpire).  The difference is
that with autoexpire enabled, you can control what you miss--i.e.
autoexpire by prioirity or by age or ...

Mike