[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun--so far, so good

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sat Nov 29 17:38:22 UTC 2008

On Nov 29, 2008, at 5:13 AM, Scott Traurig wrote:

> After realizing that 90% of my recordings could be sourced from OTA
> sources carried as unencrypted QAM on my Comcast cable system and
> having been long unhappy with the quality coming out of my PVR
> series capture cards, I ordered up an HDHomeRun. I just picked a
> likely looking place using Froogle.com and it was $169 incl. shipping.
>
> I followed the instructions on the SiliconDust site then those in
> the MythTV wiki. It all worked out quite well however I probably
> should NOT have gone through the channel scanning routine. My
> program listing is now liberally sprinkled with a bunch of local
> origination, home shopping and foreign language channels I don't
> need to see. When I went to Schedule Direct to manually make the new
> line up (as required because there is no automated way to do it) I
> realized that I should have just imported that line-up alone. It
> would have saved a ton of time as well since the channel scanning
> routines take quite a while.
>
> Quality is great. Watching HD recordings is a joy. Mythweb has
> aspect ratio issues with the flash stream but I will try the work-
> around someone posted a while ago.

Yeah, that feature is just a proof of concept - definitely not ready
for general use as you've noticed.

> I have not yet seen the problem reported in various forums whereby
> the HDHR requires a power cycle after some random interval. I did
> load the latest firmware off the SiliconDust site. If anyone has any
> info on this it would be most appreciated.
>
> Lastly it seems that for maximum convenience I will eventually need
> to delete all my tuners in mythsetup and start over to make the HDHR
> first in the list. With the HDHR last in the list the scheduler
> doesn't seem to want to choose it over the analog cards (and I'm not
> sure making it first in the list will fix this either). I gave the
> HDHR a tuner priority of "3" and when setting up a recording tell it
> to "prefer that tuner" but no joy. I have to set up recordings to be
> explicitly in the timeslot as opposed to grabbing the first new
> episode, etc. Any hints or tips on this issue would be great.

Digital channels are different from analog channels. If you have an
"on this channel" type rule, it will require that specific channel and
never record from the digital channel. If you use "on any channel" it
will be able to use either analog or digital channels to record.

-Brad