[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun--so far, so good

Scott Traurig straurig at comcast.net
Sat Nov 29 13:13:25 UTC 2008

After realizing that 90% of my recordings could be sourced from OTA sources
carried as unencrypted QAM on my Comcast cable system and having been long
unhappy with the quality coming out of my PVR series capture cards, I
ordered up an HDHomeRun. I just picked a likely looking place using
Froogle.com and it was $169 incl. shipping.

I followed the instructions on the SiliconDust site then those in the MythTV
wiki. It all worked out quite well however I probably should NOT have gone
through the channel scanning routine. My program listing is now liberally
sprinkled with a bunch of local origination, home shopping and foreign
language channels I don't need to see. When I went to Schedule Direct to
manually make the new line up (as required because there is no automated way
to do it) I realized that I should have just imported that line-up alone. It
would have saved a ton of time as well since the channel scanning routines
take quite a while.

Quality is great. Watching HD recordings is a joy. Mythweb has aspect ratio
issues with the flash stream but I will try the work-around someone posted a
while ago.

I have not yet seen the problem reported in various forums whereby the HDHR
requires a power cycle after some random interval. I did load the latest
firmware off the SiliconDust site. If anyone has any info on this it would
be most appreciated.

Lastly it seems that for maximum convenience I will eventually need to
delete all my tuners in mythsetup and start over to make the HDHR first in
the list. With the HDHR last in the list the scheduler doesn't seem to want
to choose it over the analog cards (and I'm not sure making it first in the
list will fix this either). I gave the HDHR a tuner priority of "3" and when
setting up a recording tell it to "prefer that tuner" but no joy. I have to
set up recordings to be explicitly in the timeslot as opposed to grabbing
the first new episode, etc. Any hints or tips on this issue would be great.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Scott