[mythtv-users] Here it is. MPAA wants to close the analog hole

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Nov 27 18:20:11 UTC 2008

On Nov 27, 2008, at 6:42 AM, George Galt wrote:

> Can you say "camel's nose under the tent"?  Once they got consumers
> used to the fact that component might not always work, consumers will
> accept it in an ever-expanding set of circumstances.

You're a consumer. So you would accept it in an ever-expanding set of
circumstances?

>  In addition,
> once consumers know that component connections don't always work,
> they'll start avoiding these connections on TV sets, so manufacturers
> will stop making them, so set-top box manufacturers/cablecos will stop
> supporting them -- effectively closing the analog hole.

You're a consumer. You will do this?

I'm sure to mean "average consumer" and exempt yourself. So I would
then assume you've done consumer market research and took a sampling
of average consumers asking their opinion and how they would respond.
I look forward to the full report.

I don't mean to pick on you specifically, but I see this sort of thing
on this list all the time. "Consumers will do this. Then this will
happen. Which leads to this." without any proof or historical
precedent. Then arguments start and the thread bears little
resemblance to anything that should appears on the mythtv-users list.
(The precedent being pretty much any thread in the archives that
starts with a link to an article about the MPAA, FCC, etc.)