[mythtv-users] contrast/brightness/colour/hue in capturecard versus channel table

Noah Beck noah.b.beck at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 21:19:37 UTC 2008

I have a Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150 (actually two; I haven't set the
second one up yet) and have just installed mythtv-0.21 from atrpms on
a Fedora 9 install.  My root drive died; I had a fedora 6 +
mythtv-0.20 install before.  I've gotten everything back up and
working and noticed that my color settings are back to the default
again.  This makes sense since I had stored the color settings in the
channel table before, and when I did the re-install, I had it delete
the channel lineup and re-download it from schedulesdirect.

According to ivtv, I have these settings available on the card:

                     brightness (int)  : min=0 max=255 step=1
default=128 value=128 flags=slider
                       contrast (int)  : min=0 max=127 step=1
default=64 value=64 flags=slider
                     saturation (int)  : min=0 max=127 step=1
default=64 value=64 flags=slider
                            hue (int)  : min=-128 max=127 step=1
default=0 value=0 flags=slider

I have notes from before my drive crash that say that I would like to
adjust this to:

  brightness=240
  contrast=120
  saturation=64
  hue=-15

As mentioned in the subject line, there are _two_ tables that have
contrast/brightness/colour/hue columns: channel and capturecard.  In
table channel, the default values for all 4 columns are 32768.  In
table capturecard, the default values for all 4 columns are 0.

It seems logical that I should be adjusting the values in the
capturecard table, since my second capture card will possibly want
different values.  But how do the two tables' values interact with
each other?  Is the channel value added to the card value and the
result applied when a recording begins?  And how do the range of
values allowed in the SQL tables (presumably -2^31 through +2^31) map
to the range of values allowed by my particular card (listed above)?

Thanks,
Noah