[mythtv-users] Mythfilldatabase runs -- no guide data shows up

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Nov 26 20:58:15 UTC 2008

On 11/26/2008 03:41 PM, Jonathan Seawright wrote:
> Lately i've been having a wierd time with my good old'e mythtv box. I
> run mythfilldatabase, it fills the database and whatnot, but nothing
> appears in my guides. It also appears that when I schedule a
> recording, it never starts recording (it doesn't show up in the
> upcoming recordings list).
> I get the feeling it is partly due to me renaming the hostname from
> localhost.localhost to somethingelse.somethingelse2
>
> It seems like after I did that, all my settings went away, as if it
> lost access to the /home/mythtv/.mythtv/ directory... It was very
> strange.
> I did reflect my changes in MythTV Setup-- shouldn't that fix it?
>
> I did try optimize_mythdb.pl and it did nothing to fix my problem.
> Where should I start in fixing this?
>
> I get the feeling my database is b0rked. :(

Yep.  There are guides for how to properly change the hostname.
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.15 and
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Change_the_hostname_of_a_MythTV_frontend_or_backend

Both will fail, now, though, since you have the old /and/ the new
hostname in the DB.

My recommendation is a "spring cleaning"
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.7 , though, you
should probably use:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Partial_restore_of_a_backup

I.e.:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Database_Backup_and_Restore (all info)

specifically:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Script-based_Database_Backup_and_Restore
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Quick_Start
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Backup_database_and_rotate_keeping_the_10-most-recent_backups
(
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Partial_restore_of_a_backup
or
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Partial_restore_of_a_backup.2C_including_plugin_data
)
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Change_the_hostname_of_a_MythTV_frontend_or_backend

Note that you'll have to reconfigure everything (mythtv-setup, then
mythfrontend settings) afterwards, but if you don't, your system will
remain broken (even if you get it to look like it's working).

Mike