[mythtv-users] Advice on Building a Quiet MythTV Box?

Blammo blammo.doh at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 19:11:55 UTC 2008

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 12:05 PM, Charles Iliya Krempeaux
<charles at reptile.ca> wrote:
> Is using SSDs (Solid-State Drives) instead of a Hard Drive an option?
> (Anyone have experience using them?)

I've had good luck with CF cards, and IDE/SATA-to-CF adapters. My main
frontend runs an 8gig CF in a SATA adapter, and it works great. It has
more than enough ram (2gig) to turn off swap, which helps eliminate
some of the potential thrashing.

Boot time is almost identical to a normal 20-40gig IDE hard drive, and
once booted, you can't tell the difference.

If you're running a dedicated backend (as suggested earlier in this
thread) you could use PXE and run completely disc-less.